Monday, July 18, 2011

If you were there

I went to your new house today. The housewarming was on 15th. It’s a nice house, simple and beautiful. The only thing missing was your presence. I kept thinking how different everything would have been if you were there. I even guessed where your room would have been. Your dad’s mom didn’t recognize me and your sister was telling her “Wafa’s friend, Wafa’s friend! Don’t you remember?” All the way back home, I kept thinking what dress you would have worn, and how you would have looked if you were with us today. May be you would have teased me saying,” Look at the time you have come to your best friend’s house on her housewarming!” We would have talked for a long time about nothing in particular, and still we would have felt reluctant to part. I don’t know how to tell you Wafa, but I kept missing you. I still miss you.
Once one of our friends asked me why I keep going to your house when you were not there anymore. What I told him in reply is what I experienced all over again today. You were not there, yeah, but you have left your marks on everything. I could see you in your mother’s face, your sister’s smile and your cousin’s welcome. There in the house you have never seen, I was reminded over and over of you, my best friend since kindergarten. I missed you really.

“If ever I forget your name, let me forget home and
Heaven!--But no, no, my love, I never can forget 'ee[thee]; for you was[were]
a GOOD... [ girl], and did good things!"
-The Woodlanders, Thomas Hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment