Saturday, January 12, 2013

Umpteen Reasons Why I Remember You

Happy Birthday, memories... You would have been 21 today. Here are some of the umpteen reasons why I still remember you.

10. Because we played Chinese checkers from your deathbed and that does not happen with everyone.


9. Because you liked chocolate and mango and small samosa-sized manda and I like them too.



8. Because you were a good human being and a good Muslim (may Allah unite us in Jannath).


7. Because your little cousins recognize me only when they are told that I'm deedi's friend.

6. Because your mom's eyes well up every time we meet each other, out of remembering you. 

5. Because you were in a lot of pain and never complained even once, and so you inspire me more than lessons on perseverance.


4. Because I'm in pain myself (though not even one-tenth of what you suffered) and thinking about you helps me stop (at least at times) from  complaining. 


3. Because you told me that for every little bit of pain that we bear patiently, we'll be forgiven some of our sins.


2. Because you were my best friend from kindergarten till the time you were alive.


1. Because I love you in the name of Allah.

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is so beautiful. This post brought tears to my eyes- and a great desire to meet the brave soul that was-and still is- your best friend.

    May Allah reunite us all in Jannah.
    Ameen, ameen, ameen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aameen..

    Her birthday is on 13th Jan. I happened to save a draft on 12th, so the post is dated 12th Jan.

    Before I started blogging, I wrote to her on her birthdays (and sometimes on mine)in a little, pink notebook that once belonged to her.

    ReplyDelete