Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Memory



Why does She knock on my door
Every time it rains,
Every time the wind whispers in my ears,
Every time I watch a leaf fall down-
Memory.
That treacherous witch.

She comes in disguises
Déjà vu.
Whenever I breathe in a fragrance,
Turn around in a crowd,
Or hear a song.
She steps in, ever so lightly.

Whenever I gaze at the sky,
See a child smile
Or hear the waves hum,
She closes in on me.
In an unguarded moment
She tramps on me.

She walks all over my mind
Till my eyes sting
And my knees go weak,
Till my heart hurts
So much that I feel the pain
Creeping to the tips of my toes.


4 comments:

  1. Why should memory be always bitter?

    For me memories had always been sweet, pleasant and fragrant.

    Memories could also be of your dear ones. It is melancholy. The sight of a green plastic bag or a particular day or time brings out the memories of my sister in me. I lost her two decades ago. Still her memories are fresh. Something engulfs your throat, your eyes get moist and it mellows you for some time.
    But I have never allowed to tramp on me. Definitely it pains my heart but it also soothes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pleasant memories as well.. Why it was so bitter is because I know I can never have those times back. I wish I could go back to being a child...
    As for memories of dear ones, I have my share too. See one of my posts in July- "Sixth anniversary and still surprised". I still miss her.

    ReplyDelete